9 far-left militants arrested in beating death of French Christian nationalist student Quentin Deranque

Police said tensions escalated around 6:40 pm when opposing groups gathered. Roughly 50 people were involved.

Police said tensions escalated around 6:40 pm when opposing groups gathered. Roughly 50 people were involved.

ad-image
Nine people have been taken into custody in France after the fatal beating of a 23-year-old nationalist student in Lyon, authorities confirmed. Among those detained is a parliamentary assistant employed by a deputy from the hard-left France Unbowed (LFI) party.

State prosecutor Thierry Dran said Monday that Quentin Deranque was attacked by “at least six” individuals who punched and kicked him in the head. A post-mortem found fatal trauma to his skull and brain. He died in hospital Saturday, two days after the assault.

The violence broke out Thursday evening near Lyon’s Institute of Political Studies, commonly known as Sciences Po. Police said tensions escalated around 6:40 pm when opposing groups gathered. Roughly 50 people were involved. Two individuals were injured, including Deranque, who suffered a severe head injury and was transported to hospital in critical condition.

Deranque had been part of an informal security group present during a small demonstration organized by Collectif Némésis, a women’s rights organization. Organizers said one of their female members was assaulted and that a young man “sustained a heavy blow to the head.”

According to investigators, the suspects are linked to La Jeune Garde, a far-left militant group that has been banned. Authorities said the arrests followed an investigation into what they described as a coordinated attack by masked individuals.

The most notable arrest is Jacques-Elie Favrot, who until now worked as a parliamentary assistant at the National Assembly for an LFI deputy. The case is placing political pressure on the party and its 70 MPs, as well as party leader Jean-Luc Mélenchon ahead of next year’s presidential election.

On Sunday, Mélenchon said his party had “nothing to do with this story. Those who accuse us are committing a libel.”

“We express our consternation, but also our empathy and compassion for [Deranque's] family and friends. We have said dozens of times that we oppose all forms of violence,” he added.

Deranque’s family stated that he was struck in the head even while motionless on the ground. “Quentin reportedly received blows to the head even while lying motionless on the ground, the individuals who attacked him acting with an undeniable intent to kill, which will nevertheless need to be further investigated.”

Image: Title: quentin beating

Opinion

View All

Spain's socialist government to legalize 1 MILLION illegal immigrants

Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez had earlier stated that roughly 500,000 illegal migrants would benefit f...

Labour MP demands UK pay BILLIONS in 'colonial reparations' over transatlantic slave trade

Britain, which at its empire’s height controlled roughly a quarter of Africa, formally outlawed the s...

LIBBY EMMONS to JACK POSOBIEC: Legacy media refuses to report on the trans mass shooter epidemic

"They’re not wanting to say that the person who has committed these acts of mass horrific violence ar...

Trump admin reaches out to help Alabama women targeted in Belgium anti-ICE knife attack

"We took her on the trip to celebrate her 13th birthday, and we thank God we are still here to do tha...