img

3 Antifa thugs identified as suspects in beating death of French Catholic activist

Quentin had been affiliated with Collectif Némésis, a right-wing women’s advocacy group that was protesting at the event.

Quentin had been affiliated with Collectif Némésis, a right-wing women’s advocacy group that was protesting at the event.

ad-image
A 20-year-old Catholic man has died after suffering severe head trauma during a street confrontation tied to a far-left antifa-related protest at Sciences Po Lyon, authorities confirmed Friday, with three of the militants now being identified. Prosecutors have opened an investigation into aggravated violence resulting in death as officials work to determine how the altercation escalated, reports the Catholic Herald.

The three have been identified as Jacques Elie-Favrot, the Parliamentary assistant to Raphael Arnault, Adrian Besseyre, and Lelio Le Besson, members of the security of Jeune Garde Lyon, and an active militant of Generation antifascist. 

The victim, identified in reports as Quentin, was injured during clashes on February 12 outside a conference appearance by European Parliament member Rima Hassan. Emergency responders treated him at the scene before transporting him to the hospital in critical condition. A source cited by BFMTV said he was found with “a significant head haematoma.” He later died after receiving last rites from a priest.

Police sources told BFMTV that tensions began around 6:40 pm when opposing activist groups gathered near the conference venue and adjacent university sites. Approximately 50 individuals were involved in what authorities described as a violent confrontation. Two people were reported injured.

Quentin had been affiliated with Collectif Némésis, a right-wing women’s advocacy group that was protesting at the event. The group says that one of its female members had been assaulted earlier in the evening and that the young man “sustained a heavy blow to the head” during the clashes. Officials have not confirmed those claims.

Prosecutors stated: “An investigation was immediately opened … At this stage, the context and circumstances of these acts must be determined.” Investigators are reviewing surveillance footage, forensic findings, and witness testimony.

Lyon municipal officials condemned the incident as “extremely violent,” but did not assign blame for the incident

National Rally president Jordan Bardella issued condolences to the family and called for “the full truth” to be established.

Traditional Catholic groups, including supporters linked to Academia Christiana, have organized rosaries and vigils. The institute has previously faced scrutiny from Interior Minister Gérald Darmanin, who in 2023 announced plans to seek its dissolution, alleging it “legitimises violence.” The organization denied the allegation and said it would challenge any action in court.

Image: Title: french antifas

Opinion

View All

UK judge clears way for Gazan family of 18 to join refugee relative in Britain

The ruling found that the woman has enough space to accommodate only her parents....

Sweden citizenship grants COLLAPSE to just 98 after tough new immigration rules kick in

By comparison, Sweden granted 1,602 citizenships in June and 18,332 during the first seven months of ...

Iranian hackers shut down UK power facility in cyberattack: report

The facility was reportedly disabled for four days as staff worked to restore it....

Sword-wielding maniac kills 17-year-old girl, injures three others at Swedish high school

"First it was just a regular day really. But then ... I saw a guy all covered in blood, at least down...