Andrew, who turned 66 on Thursday, was arrested after a "thorough assessment," police said. Andrew was stripped of his royal titles in late 2025 after questions were raised regarding his friendship with Epstein. A survivor of Epstein, Virginia Giuffre, who died by suicide earlier in 2025, had accused Andrew of sexually abusing her.
The Thames Valley police said in a statement regarding the arrest of Andrew, "As part of the investigation, we have today (19/2) arrested a man in his sixties from Norfolk on suspicion of misconduct in public office and are carrying out searches at addresses in Berkshire and Norfolk. The man remains in police custody at this time. We will not be naming the arrested man, as per national guidance. Please also remember that this case is now active so care should be taken with any publication to avoid being in contempt of court."
The Assistant Chief Constable Oliver Wright added in the law enforcement statement, per the BBC, "Following a thorough assessment, we have now opened an investigation into this allegation of misconduct in public office. It is important that we protect the integrity and objectivity of our investigation as we work with our partners to investigate this alleged offence. We understand the significant public interest in this case, and we will provide updates at the appropriate time.”
This is the first time that Andrew, who has faced a number of different allegations over his ties with Epstein, has been arrested. After being taken into custody, police searched his addresses in Berkshire as well as Norfolk.
UK law enforcement forces have also been looking into Andrew's relationship with Epstein, as more photos of the former royal were released, including one showing him crouching over a woman who was on the floor of Epstein's home in New York.

Source: DOJ
It has been reported that a number of police forces are looking into allegations around the topic of trafficking after the Trump administration released the remaining files and documents related to the Epstein case.
Andrew has denied all wrongdoing in connection with Epstein's crimes, as well as wrongdoing regarding the accusation of passing the documents to Epstein. The documents in question link back to when he was a trade envoy, according to the BBC.
In a statement from King Charles III, the older brother of Andrew, he stated, "I have learned with the deepest concern the news about Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor and suspicion of misconduct in public office. What now follows is the full, fair and proper process by which this issue is investigated in the appropriate manner and by the appropriate authorities. In this, as I have said before, they have our full and wholehearted support and co-operation. Let me state clearly: the law must take its course. As this process continues, it would not be right for me to comment further on this matter. Meanwhile, my family and I will continue in our duty and service to you all."




