Israel recovers body of last Gaza hostage, clearing path for next phase of Trump peace plan

“We brought them all back, down to the very last captive.”

“We brought them all back, down to the very last captive.”

ad-image
Israel’s military announced that it has recovered the body of the final hostage held in Gaza, a development Israeli officials say clears the way for the next phase of President Donald Trump’s ceasefire and post-war framework.

The Israel Defense Forces (IDF) said it retrieved the remains of Master Sgt. Ran Gvili following a targeted search operation near Gaza City. Gvili had been missing since the Hamas-led attack on Israel on October 7, 2023, and was the last hostage not returned after the ceasefire with Hamas took effect in October.

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu described the recovery as a major milestone, saying Israel had fulfilled its commitment to bring every captive home, reports the BBC.

“We promised — and I promised — to bring everyone back,” Netanyahu said. “We brought them all back, down to the very last captive.”

According to the IDF, updated intelligence over the weekend led forces to search a cemetery located near the so-called Yellow Line, an area that remains under Israeli control as part of the ceasefire agreement. A military official said the clarification of intelligence made the operation possible.

Hamas confirmed that it had provided mediators with information about Gvili’s location. Spokesman Hazem Qassem said the group had kept mediators informed and claimed the recovery demonstrated Hamas’s compliance with the ceasefire terms.

The IDF said Gvili, a Yamam commando fighter, was killed during fighting on the morning of October 7 and that his body was taken into Gaza. He was 24 years old at the time of his death.

"The IDF shares in the family’s grief,” the military said in a statement. “With this, all of the hostages from the Gaza Strip area have been returned.”

Under the ceasefire agreement, Hamas was required to return all hostages, living and deceased, within 72 hours. Twenty living hostages and the bodies of 27 others were handed over earlier, leaving only Gvili unaccounted for until now.

Image: Title: idf

Opinion

View All

Man who burned Quran outside Turkish Embassy in UK set to be accepted as refugee in US if appeal fails

State Department officials in the Trump administration are reportedly preparing to assist Hamit Cosku...

3 Antifa thugs identified as suspects in beating death of French Catholic activist

Quentin had been affiliated with Collectif Némésis, a right-wing women’s advocacy group that was prot...

MP Rupert Lowe launches ‘Restore Britain’ party for 'full-scale restoration' of UK

"I simply could no longer justify asking you to place your faith in a system that has repeatedly show...

French nationalist brutally beaten by Antifa thugs dies after protecting women’s rights activists

The man, identified as Quentin, was reportedly part of an informal security group defending a pro-wom...