img

Australia’s top war hero faces war crime charges over death of 5 Afghans, skips bail in Sydney court

Authorities claim he either directly shot the victims or ordered a subordinate to carry out the killings.

Authorities claim he either directly shot the victims or ordered a subordinate to carry out the killings.

ad-image
Australia’s most decorated living soldier is now facing war crime murder charges, and he didn’t even try to get bail when the case came up in court. Ben Roberts-Smith, 47, remained in custody after his arrest earlier this week, as proceedings moved forward in Sydney on Wednesday.

Prosecutors allege the former Special Air Service Regiment corporal was involved in the unlawful killings of five Afghan nationals during deployments in 2009 and 2012.

Authorities claim he either directly shot the victims or ordered a subordinate to carry out the killings.

Roberts-Smith was charged Tuesday with five counts tied to war crime murder. When the matter was formally heard Wednesday, the charges were listed as two counts of war crime murder and three counts of aiding or abetting. All carry a potential sentence of life imprisonment under Australian law.

He did not appear in court, either in person or by video link. His legal team did not enter pleas and did not apply for bail. The case was adjourned until June 4.

The charges stem in part from a 2020 military inquiry that found evidence Australian special forces personnel unlawfully killed 39 Afghan prisoners, civilians, and other noncombatants during the country’s long-running involvement in Afghanistan. Around 40,000 Australian troops served in the conflict between 2001 and 2021, with 41 fatalities.

Under Australian law, war crime murder involves the intentional killing of a person not actively participating in hostilities, including civilians or prisoners.

Roberts-Smith, a recipient of both the Victoria Cross and the Medal of Gallantry, has previously faced similar allegations in civil court. In 2023, a federal judge ruled against him in a defamation case he brought over media reports published in 2018, finding it was substantially true that he had unlawfully killed four noncombatants.

That civil ruling was made on the balance of probabilities, a lower threshold than the criminal standard of beyond reasonable doubt required in the current case.

He is the second Australian Afghanistan veteran to face such charges.

Image: Title: australian war hero

Opinion

View All

Trump defends cuts to US-South Korea military drills, citing Kim Jong Un ties and Seoul’s refusal to help in Iran conflict

"'No, no, we'd rather not get involved.' I said, well, why are we involved in helping you?"...

DSA's socialist paradise Sweden is actually a low-debt, pro-free market nation with tight immigration controls

After accepting more than 160,000 asylum seekers in 2015, the country moved toward one of Europe's mo...

Eritrean migrant drags elderly man behind billboard, rapes him next to church

Prosecutors said Desalagne moved the heavily intoxicated victim from a bench to a grass verge before ...