img

Explosion rocks 19th century Belgian synagogue in antisemitic attack

The exact cause of the explosion remains unknown.

The exact cause of the explosion remains unknown.

ad-image
A historic synagogue in Liege, Belgium, was damaged early Monday morning after what authorities are calling an explosion. The blast, which happened around 4 am, shattered windows across the street and caused material damage to the 1899-built building. No injuries have been reported.

Police in Liege set up a security perimeter, and counter-terrorism units are now investigating the incident. The exact cause of the explosion remains unknown, according to GB News.

Liege Mayor Willy Demeyer condemned the attack, calling it a "violent act of antisemitism" on local radio. "From the information communicated to me, there is little doubt... the investigation will have to determine this. It is unacceptable that we import conflicts from outside into our city," he said. Demeyer is coordinating with Belgium's Minister of the Interior on next steps.

Yves Oschinsky, president of the Committee of Jewish Organizations of Belgium (CCOJB), described the blast as an "extremely worrying, serious and concerning anti-Semitic act" to the Belga news agency. The synagogue also serves as a museum documenting the city's Jewish community.

Liege sits near the German border in eastern Belgium, and the incident comes amid rising antisemitic attacks across Europe. In the UK, last year’s deadly attack on Manchester’s Heaton Park Synagogue highlighted growing threats.

On October 2, 2025, Jihad Al-Shamie drove into the synagogue gates before launching a knife attack while wearing a suicide belt which was later discovered to be fake, killing worshippers Melvin Cravitz and Adrian Daulby. It was Britain’s first fatal antisemitic terror attack since records began in 1984.

The Community Security Trust (CST) reported that more than 40 anti-Jewish incidents occurred on the day of the Manchester attack and another 40 the following day, marking the highest daily totals of 2025.

Overall, CST recorded 3,700 anti-Jewish hate incidents in the UK last year, a four per cent increase from 2024. Damage to Jewish property also rose sharply, with 217 incidents reported in 2025, up 38 per cent from 157 the year prior.

CST chief executive Mark Gardner said the Manchester attack capped “two years of intense anti-Jewish hatred” and warned that it had sparked additional antisemitic activity. National policing lead for hate crime Mark Hobrough described the levels of anti-Jewish incidents as “unacceptably high."

Image: Title: belgium synagogue

Opinion

View All

Trump defends cuts to US-South Korea military drills, citing Kim Jong Un ties and Seoul’s refusal to help in Iran conflict

"'No, no, we'd rather not get involved.' I said, well, why are we involved in helping you?"...

DSA's socialist paradise Sweden is actually a low-debt, pro-free market nation with tight immigration controls

After accepting more than 160,000 asylum seekers in 2015, the country moved toward one of Europe's mo...

Eritrean migrant drags elderly man behind billboard, rapes him next to church

Prosecutors said Desalagne moved the heavily intoxicated victim from a bench to a grass verge before ...