The Justice Department is reviewing its decision not to charge FBI agents for their misconduct during the investigation of former USA Gymnastics doctor and convicted sex offender Larry Nassar.
As previously reported by Human Events News, Olympic gold medalist Simone Biles and other champion gymnasts testified before the Senate Judiciary Committee in September regarding years of sexual abuse.
Biles told the panel that it felt as though the “FBI turned a blind eye” to the gymnasts and “went out of its way to help protect” the organizations that enabled the abuse.
“A message needs to be sent: If you allow a predator to harm children, the consequences will be swift and severe,” she said.
In July, the Justice Department’s inspector general released a report highlighting severe errors in the FBI’s handling of Nassar’s case, also previously reported by Human Events News.
The inspector general’s report said senior FBI officials failed to properly respond, and the investigation was not picked up until after a September 2016 report by the Indianapolis Star.
The news of the Justice Department review came from Deputy Attorney General Lisa Monaco, who told the Senate Judiciary Committee about it Tuesday during a hearing on the Violence Against Women Act, per Fox News.
“I can inform the committee today that the recently-confirmed assistant attorney general for the criminal division is currently reviewing this matter, including new information that has come to light,” Monaco said.
“I do want the committee, and frankly I want the survivors to understand how exceptionally seriously we take this issue and believe that this deserves a thorough and full review,” Monaco stressed.