img

Five dead in Easter terror attack on Nigerian church, 31 rescued by military

Military officials said five people were killed at the scene, though local leaders reported a higher toll.

Military officials said five people were killed at the scene, though local leaders reported a higher toll.

ad-image
At least 31 civilians have been rescued by the Nigerian Army after armed men stormed churches during Easter services in northwestern Nigeria, authorities said, in an attack that left multiple worshippers dead. The attack took place Sunday morning in Ariko village in Kaduna state, where gunmen opened fire on congregants gathered for worship.

Military officials said five people were killed at the scene, though local leaders reported a higher toll, report GB News.

"Through a swift response, (troops) have successfully foiled a terrorist attack leading to the rescue of 31 civilians abducted during an Easter church service,” the military in Nigeria said in a statement.


Caleb Maaji, chairman of the Christian Association of Nigeria for Kaduna state, said two churches were targeted and seven worshippers were killed. “Findings are still ongoing,” Mr. Maaji told Reuters, noting that the precise number of those initially seized remained unclear.

According to the military, soldiers engaged the attackers in a firefight, forcing them to retreat and abandon captives. The army stated that blood trails were found along escape routes, indicating injuries among the gunmen. Additional troops have since been deployed to pursue those responsible and reinforce security in the area.

The attack is the latest in a string of violent incidents across northwest Nigeria, where armed groups have carried out raids, kidnappings, and killings in rural communities. These groups, often referred to locally as bandits, operate from forested areas and have targeted villages for ransom operations.

In a separate operation, Nigerian forces reportedly killed 65 bandits during an offensive in Zamfara state, days after a mass abduction in the region. Police confirmed that multiple residents had been taken and said a search effort was underway to locate the victims.

Local accounts cited by media outlets indicated that gunmen in the Kaduna attack may have operated in the area for an extended period before security forces intervened, though the military has described its response as immediate.

Nigeria’s security challenges have drawn international attention, including from Donald Trump. Nigerian officials have rejected claims that attacks are solely targeting one religious group.

Foreign military cooperation has also increased, with US personnel deployed earlier this year to assist Nigerian forces with training and intelligence sharing.

Image: Title: nigeria christians

Opinion

View All

Trump defends cuts to US-South Korea military drills, citing Kim Jong Un ties and Seoul’s refusal to help in Iran conflict

"'No, no, we'd rather not get involved.' I said, well, why are we involved in helping you?"...

DSA's socialist paradise Sweden is actually a low-debt, pro-free market nation with tight immigration controls

After accepting more than 160,000 asylum seekers in 2015, the country moved toward one of Europe's mo...

Eritrean migrant drags elderly man behind billboard, rapes him next to church

Prosecutors said Desalagne moved the heavily intoxicated victim from a bench to a grass verge before ...