Russia claims it has proof Ukraine is linked to Moscow terror attack

White House national security spokesperson John Kirby called the allegations "nonsense and propaganda."

ad-image
On Thursday, Russian investigators claimed they had found proof that the terror attack at Crocus City Hall in Moscow last week was carried out by gunmen linked to "Ukrainian nationalists."

"As a result of working with detained terrorists, studying the technical devices seized from them, and analysing information about financial transactions, evidence was obtained of their connection with Ukrainian nationalists," a statement from Russia's Investigative Committee said.

It added that there was "confirmed data" that the gunmen had received significant amounts of cash and cryptocurrency from Ukraine, Reuters reports, and claimed that another suspect involved in "the terrorists' financing scheme" had been detained by officials.

White House national security spokesperson John Kirby called the allegations "nonsense and propaganda."

"In fact, the United States tried to help prevent this terrorist attack and the Kremlin knows this," he said, adding that the Islamic State (IS) was solely responsible for the attack.

The IS claimed responsibility shortly after the massacre, which left over 140 people dead, last Friday. It released a statement that read: "Islamic State fighters attacked a large gathering of Christians in the city of Krasnogorsk on the outskirts of the Russian capital, Moscow, killing and wounding hundreds and causing great destruction to the place before they withdrew to their bases safely."

Kyiv has also vehemently denied any involvement in the attack and the US has stood behind them.

Kirby stated, "We take seriously our duty to warn. We never want to see innocent lives lost in terrorist attacks," and added that Washington has passed "many warnings" to Moscow "about various threats" since September, including a written warning to Russian security services on March 7.

US officials have said they believe the Islamic State Khorasan, the network's Afghan branch, was responsible for the attack, but Russia has remained skeptical, noting that the fact the US named a potential perpetrator so quickly was suspicious.
 

Image: Title: putin z kirby

Opinion

View All

Trump officials urge British free speech victims to seek asylum in US

"Anyone persecuted by their government for peacefully expressing their views, including British citiz...

Kings College London ends puberty blocker trans trial for children after red flags raised by watchdog

“The MHRA has now raised new concerns – directly related to the wellbeing of children and young peopl...

JACK POSOBIEC and JOSHUA LISEC: Regime change in Iran will lead to same doomed history

"We saw this with the Arab Spring, where relatively stable, strong men-led regimes were replaced by s...

ROD THOMSON: Supreme Court's blow to Trump's tariff plan is tough but not fatal

Foreign officials have said they were not adjusting their strategies in anticipation of the ruling....