As previously reported by Human Events News, Japan declared a COVID-19 state of emergency that will continue through August, raising concerns about the Summer Olympics.
Olympic organizers said Thursday that spectators would be prohibited from most events at the Games, scheduled to begin on July 23.
Officials have long said that they can hold the Summer Olympics safely amid the pandemic, and last month announced they would allow domestic spectators at the events.
In an emergency meeting Thursday, organizers decided how to best respond to the spike in cases.
Addressing reporters on Thursday night, Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga acknowledged the challenge the country faced with the spike. He warned about the danger of the virus spreading beyond Tokyo, the New York Times reports.
He also promised to provide a historic Olympic Games that would serve as an example of perseverance in the face of adversity.
“I want to transmit [viewers] a message from Tokyo about overcoming hardship with effort and wisdom,” he said.
While spectators will be disallowed from all events in Tokyo and its surrounding areas, a few – like the marathon – will be held in areas not affected by the new state of emergency, allowing for the possibility that some fans can attend.