img

Family feared Southport attacker Axel Rudakubana, said he was a 'sociopath': public inquiry

“He reminded me of that character from No Country for Old Men — a sociopath, the one who kills ten people. That’s why it concerned me. I felt the threat was within the home.”

  • by:
  • 11/04/2025

“He reminded me of that character from No Country for Old Men — a sociopath, the one who kills ten people. That’s why it concerned me. I felt the threat was within the home.”

ad-image
The brother of Southport killer Axel Rudakubana told a public inquiry Tuesday that he feared for his family’s safety long before the 17-year-old murdered three young girls at a Taylor Swift-themed dance class last year.

Dion Rudakubana, 21, said his younger brother’s behavior had become increasingly violent after being expelled from school at 13 for bringing knives into lessons. “From 2022, when he was 15, I started to fear he might kill someone in the household,” Dion said, according to the Daily Mail. “He would smash plates and confront my dad. The police were called a few times.”

He described Axel as socially withdrawn, paranoid, and unable to empathize with others. “His ability to understand people just diminished,” he told the panel. “He reminded me of that character from No Country for Old Men — a sociopath, the one who kills ten people. That’s why it concerned me. I felt the threat was within the home.”

Dion said he stopped speaking to his brother in the summer of 2023 after Axel threw a metal bottle at him. “I managed to close the door before it hit me,” he said. “I could’ve been seriously hurt.” He added that he had been warned by his parents to be careful and no longer entered Axel’s room because of his “violent responses.”

The older brother said he was never questioned about Axel’s behavior by police, social workers, or mental health staff, despite the family being known to authorities. “I didn’t think to tell anyone because the problem grew gradually,” he said. “If someone had asked, I would’ve said I feared some disputes could escalate.”

The inquiry also heard from Deanna Romina Khananisho, head of global affairs at X, who defended the platform’s decision not to remove a video of an Australian bishop being stabbed, footage Axel reportedly watched just six minutes before the Southport killings. Khananisho said the video showed “hope, faith, and forgiveness” and that taking it down would be “tyrannical overreach.”

Rudakubana killed Elsie Dot Stancombe, 7; Bebe King, 6; and Alice da Silva Aguiar, 9 during the July 2024 attack in Southport. He was sentenced to life in prison in January with a minimum term of 52 years. His parents are expected to testify next as the inquiry continues this week at Liverpool Town Hall.

Image: Title: Southport

Opinion

View All

Brothers jailed after £62,000 Pokémon card burglary

The brothers targeted Celestial Collectables in Warrington on April 8, with police called after the s...

Dutch farmers protest government plans to revoke permits for poultry farms

Farmers drove tractors toward the provincial government building in Den Bosch as part of a protest or...

Poland unveils Europe’s tallest Virgin Mary statue

The statue stands taller than Brazil’s Christ the Redeemer statue and is also larger than Poland’s Ch...

‘Come and arrest me, lads’: Police target Kellie-Jay Keen over nationalist posts, speech at Tommy Robinson rally

Keen called to “get Islam out of our classrooms” and for Islamists to be removed from positions of pu...