Item 1:Five months after the United Nations gave a solemn undertaking to investigate rockets found on multiple premises during the Gaza war, no inquiry has begun. ¬†How schools were used as weapons magazines and what happened to them afterwards remains a ‚??mystery‚??. ¬†UNRWA said it ‚??returned‚?? the rockets to ‚??local authorities,‚?Ě which means they were fired from there at Israeli civilians.
Item 2:As reported on Monday, the UN commissioned an additional ‚??Board of inquiry‚?? to investigate; headed this time by retired Dutch General Patrick Cammaert (Ban‚??s probe). ¬†The Israeli Government on Wednesday announced there would be no cooperation with this Board, whose ‚??inquiry results‚?? were decided ahead of time and they were refused entry into the country when they arrived at the bridge across the Jordon River. ¬†‚??Israel will conduct its dialogue over the commission of inquiry, including allegations of support for terrorism by UNRWA employees, through diplomatic channels,‚?Ě Foreign Ministry spokesman Emmanuel Nahshon said Tuesday.
Background and timeline
UNRWA Commissioner-General Pierre Kr√§henb√ľhl said in August, ‚??We condemned such military actions by Israel explicitly and unreservedly,‚?Ě referring to episodes of heavy fighting inBeit Hanoun, Jabalia and Rafah, during which UNRWA institutions came under fire. ¬†The poor fellow claims that: ‚??We cannot comprehend why they occurred, and even less why they happened so repeatedly. ¬†We have asked for investigations to be carried out and for accountability.‚?Ě ¬†While at the same time, neither he, nor the organization he heads, has condemned nor directed anyone to inquire how or why those facilities were ‚?? and are ‚?? being used by Hamas as launching sites and storage facilities for Hamas military operations.
- Some 20 rockets were discovered ‚??hidden in a vacant school‚?Ě in Gaza on July 17. ¬†UNRWA condemned ‚??the group or groups responsible for placing the weapons in one of its installations.‚?Ě ¬†The agency said (statement) the incident was ‚??a flagrant violation of the inviolability of its premises under international law.‚?Ě ¬†They also claimed that ‚??UNRWA has launched a comprehensive investigation into the circumstances surrounding this incident.‚?Ě
This is a blatant lie. ¬†No such inquiry, of any kind, has occurred or been launched.
- Only five days later, on July 22, rockets were again found at an UNRWA school. ¬†a similar press release vowed to ‚??launch a comprehensive investigation into the circumstances surrounding this incident.‚?Ě ¬†The agency lied again.
- On July 23, the so-called ‚??UN Human Rights Council‚?Ě voted in favour of establishment of an ‚??international commission of inquiry‚?Ě into the Gaza war.
- Then, seven days after the previous ‚??find‚??, on July 29, a third cache of rockets was discovered at an UNRWA school. ¬†The organization again condemned the incident, calling on ‚??the warring parties to respect the inviolability of UN property.‚?Ě ¬†The third time, UNRWA did not even bother with ‚??make believe‚?? and made no promise to investigate anything. ¬†Notice the amazing phrasing, ‚??the warring parties!‚?Ě ¬†Perhaps Kr√§henb√ľhl had not time to notice that Israel had placed absolutely no weapons materials (or anything else) within storage at UNRWA facilities.
- Less than a month later, on August 11, the council announced the probe launch, headed by Canadian lawyer and known anti-Israel activist William Schabas.
NO commission has been initiated by the UN, or any of its parts, to investigate how UN facilities fly the United Nations flag while actively engaging in hostile actions against Israeli citizens ‚?? act described by the UN charter as war crimes.
What happened to the rockets is quite clear. ¬†‚??The rockets were passed on to the government authorities‚?Ě in Gaza, which is Hamas. ¬†In other words, UNRWA made certain their rockets would be used against Israeli civilians.
Actions have results
Secretary of State Kerry‚??s ‚??peace process‚?Ě forced an Israeli/Palestinian collision.
Not a single Palestinian Authority official has denounced the wave of terror in Israel. ¬†They are afraid of being condemned for denouncing ‚??heroic operations‚?Ě such as ramming a car into a three-month old infant. ¬†Kerry and other Western leaders refuse to comprehend that Abbas is not authorized to make any peace concessions (or for anything else) with Israel. ¬†Criticism by the US and Israel is far more expedient than vilification (and assassination) by his own folks. ¬†Ignoring facts, Kerry applied make-believe pressure on Abbas for compromise that would have made him a ‚??traitor‚?Ě in the eyes of his people ‚?? according to the daily propaganda he personally signs off on.
‚??According to longstanding UN practice in UN humanitarian operations worldwide, incidents involving unexploded ordnance that could endanger beneficiaries and staff are referred to the local authorities,‚?Ě UNRWA‚??s thoroughly discredited ‚??Director of advocacy and strategic communications‚?Ě, Christopher Gunness, told The Times of Israel at the time.
Since then, Gunness has refused queries regarding the matter, specifically about the makeup of the inquiry UNRWA promised (and failed) to establish.
Sign up to the Human Events newsletter