img

Nottingham killer set free 'to carry out rampage' after health chief worried arresting him would be racist

Three years before the attacks, Calocane was arrested after attempting to force entry into a neighbour’s flat.

Three years before the attacks, Calocane was arrested after attempting to force entry into a neighbour’s flat.

ad-image
The man who went on to kill three people in Nottingham, UK had previously been released into the community after mental health staff considered research on the over-representation of young black males in detention, a public inquiry was told.

Valdo Calocane, diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia, had a history of contact with police and mental health services before the June 13, 2023 attacks. He had been sectioned four times and was discharged in late 2022 despite refusing medication and failing to properly engage with treatment, reports LBC.

At the time of the killings, he was described as being unlawfully at large. An arrest warrant issued in September 2022 for failing to attend court on a charge of assaulting a police officer remained outstanding.

Three years before the attacks, Calocane was arrested after attempting to force entry into a neighbour’s flat. The woman, alone inside, told the inquiry she heard knocking at around 8 pm. Counsel to the Inquiry Rachel Langdale KC said: “It was VC. She asked who it was and he said: ‘It’s me, open please.’

“She repeated the question, but he just knocked louder and louder. He began kicking. She was alone in the flat and describes her fear at this point. She was so frightened that she jumped out of a first floor window, causing serious damage to her spine.”

Following that, Calocane underwent a mental health assessment, where he reported hearing his mother screaming and believing she was being raped. The inquiry heard that professionals later decided to treat him in the community after considering “research that shows over-representation of young black males in detention.” It was stated the decision should have been based purely on his clinical needs and risk, not demographic factors.

On June 13, 2023, Calocane fatally stabbed 19-year-old students Grace O’Malley-Kumar and Barnaby Webber as they walked home.

He then killed 65-year-old caretaker Ian Coates, stole his van and drove into pedestrians Sharon Miller, Marcin Gawronski and Wayne Birkett. Wayne suffered life-changing injuries, including brain damage. Sharon remains housebound and may never return to work.

In January 2024, Calocane was given an indefinite hospital order after admitting manslaughter by diminished responsibility and attempted murder.

Image: Title: caldeo

Opinion

View All

Trump defends cuts to US-South Korea military drills, citing Kim Jong Un ties and Seoul’s refusal to help in Iran conflict

"'No, no, we'd rather not get involved.' I said, well, why are we involved in helping you?"...

DSA's socialist paradise Sweden is actually a low-debt, pro-free market nation with tight immigration controls

After accepting more than 160,000 asylum seekers in 2015, the country moved toward one of Europe's mo...

Eritrean migrant drags elderly man behind billboard, rapes him next to church

Prosecutors said Desalagne moved the heavily intoxicated victim from a bench to a grass verge before ...