Prince Andrew Gives Up Membership at Exclusive St. Andrews Golf Club

Prince Andrew on Friday gave up his honorary membership at the Royal & Ancient Golf Club of St. Andrews amidst an ongoing sexual abuse lawsuit.  “I can confirm that the Royal and Ancient Golf Club of St. Andrews has received notification that the Duke of York will relinquish his honorary membership,” the club said, per […]

  • by:
  • 03/02/2023
ad-image

Prince Andrew on Friday gave up his honorary membership at the Royal & Ancient Golf Club of St. Andrews amidst an ongoing sexual abuse lawsuit. 

“I can confirm that the Royal and Ancient Golf Club of St. Andrews has received notification that the Duke of York will relinquish his honorary membership,” the club said, per The Hill. “We respect and appreciate his decision.” 

As previously reported by Human Events News, Prince Andrew also gave up his military titles and royal charities earlier this month. 

Buckingham Palace said that Prince Andrew “will continue not to undertake any public duties and is defending this case as a private citizen.” 

Also earlier this month, a federal judge denied Prince Andrew’s request to dismiss a lawsuit accusing him of having sex with an underage girl. Judge Lewis Kaplan ruled that it was an open question as to whether Prince Andrew should be released from liability over the abuse alleged by Virginia Giuffre.

Giuffre - who also accused Jeffrey Epstein of sexual exploitation - is suing Prince Andrew for allegedly sexually assaulting her when she was only 17. 

In his ruling, Kaplan added that his refusal to dismiss Giuffre’s case was not a result of finding her claims to be true, which is a matter that still will be determined by a jury. 

Buckingham Palace also said Prince Andrew would also “no longer use the style ‘His Royal Highness’ in any official capacity.” 

The Royal & Ancient Golf Club of St. Andrews is a private golf club made up exclusively of 2,400 members. It has a long legacy with the sport of golf, including hosting 29 Open Championship events since its founding in 1754.

Image:

Opinion

View All

'We will continue to kill': Islamic State tells followers to use Bondi Beach massacre as 'instruction manual' for 'honor of Islam'

“The Sydney attack was only a pebble from a mountain; we will continue to kill, by the permission of ...

Croatia brings historic anthem denouncing Ottoman, Islamic occupation of their land to Eurovision—Turkey lodges protest

Turkish media and some on social media criticized the performance and have been pushing back against ...

BREAKING: Eight injured after man of African origin plows car into crowd in Italy, stabs at least one person

The suspect, who has not been publicly identified, is a 31-year-old Italian citizen of African origin...