UK police arrests suspect connected to wave of attacks targeting Jewish sites across London

Counter-terror police are examining whether foreign actors may be linked to the incidents, including the potential Iranian proxies.

Counter-terror police are examining whether foreign actors may be linked to the incidents, including the potential Iranian proxies.

ad-image
A 37-year-old man has been arrested in connection with attacking several Jewish locations across London, authorities said Sunday. Police confirmed the arrest took place in Devon, England as part of an ongoing counter-terror investigation. The suspect has not yet been named publicly. 

Officials say the case ties into multiple attacks reported since late March, and investigators have now detained 26 individuals in total. The incidents include arson attacks on Jewish community-run ambulances in Golders Green, a synagogue, and a former Jewish charity building. There was also a separate case involving a drone flown near the Israeli embassy.

Counter-terror police are examining whether foreign actors may be linked to the incidents, including the potential Iranian proxies. Earlier in the week, a 17-year-old boy pleaded guilty at Westminster Magistrates’ Court to arson not endangering life.  Prime Minister Keir Starmer addressed the situation during a visit to the synagogue on Thursday, saying: "We have to deal with malign state actors, that will require legislation. We’re going to bring that legislation forward.

"It’s really important we do that. It’s very important this particular context because I’m increasingly concerned that a number of countries are using proxies for attacks in this country."

During a roundtable with Jewish community leaders, including Chief Rabbi Sir Ephraim Mirvis, concerns were raised about the broader security situation. One participant said: "I pointed out to him that we are appreciative of all the measures that are being taken by the police, by our CST (Community Security Trust), by various authorities, however the focus is primarily on treating the symptoms and not the cause.

"We need as a society to look at the cause and our Government needs to direct its attention in order to guarantee that the Islamist threat, not just to the Jewish community but to our entire society, is something that will be taken far more seriously.

"We need to be worried about the extent to which Israel has been demonised unfairly and as a result our Jewish community is suffering," he said, according to GB News. Starmer also said that the ability of Jewish citizens to practice their religion freely is "all of our fight."

Image: Title: uk police

Opinion

View All

Drone strike targets UAE nuclear plant as Trump warns Iran 'the clock is ticking'

"The United Arab Emirates has condemned in the strongest terms the unprovoked terrorist attack."...

'We will continue to kill': Islamic State tells followers to use Bondi Beach massacre as 'instruction manual' for 'honor of Islam'

“The Sydney attack was only a pebble from a mountain; we will continue to kill, by the permission of ...

Croatia brings historic anthem denouncing Ottoman, Islamic occupation of their land to Eurovision—Turkey lodges protest

Turkish media and some on social media criticized the performance and have been pushing back against ...

BREAKING: Eight injured after man of African origin plows car into crowd in Italy, stabs at least one person

The suspect, who has not been publicly identified, is a 31-year-old Italian citizen of African origin...