The US and Iran have been at odds for a while, with the bombing strike on Iran's nuclear facilities last year as well as Trump threatening Supreme Leader of Iran Ali Khamenei as the Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps engaged in a massive crackdown against protesters in the nation. Reports have indicated that upwards of 35,000 people could have been killed during citizen protests against the regime.
"Trump came close to striking Iran in early January," Axios notes. However, the outlet continues, "when the window of opportunity passed, the administration shifted to a two-track approach: nuclear talks paired with a massive military build-up."
Trump is reportedly seeking concessions from Iran on their nuclear program, which they have hardened since June 2025's Operation Midnight Hammer. US ally Israel, notes Barak Ravid in Axios, "is pushing for a maximalist scenario targeting regime change as well as Iran's nuclear and missile programs" and "is preparing for a scenario of war within days, according to two Israeli officials."
Close Trump advisers Jared Kushner and Steve Witkoff met with Iran's Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi in Geneva on Tuesday. Vice President JD Vance said they're "went well" but noted that "in other ways it was very clear that the president has set some red lines that the Iranians are not yet willing to actually acknowledge and work through." Trump, he said, wants a deal but may have come to the end of diplomacy.
The Trump administration has become known for strategic, quick, military actions, such as the strikes on drug boats in the Caribbean or the removal of Nicolas Maduro from power in Venezuela. A fight with Iran would likely be a longer, more drawn-out affair.




