CHAOS in Mexico after cartel head killed, tourist destinations hit with violence, US Embassy issues security alert

Nemesio Oseguera Cervantes, the Mexican drug lord commonly known as “El Mencho” and leader of the Jalisco New Generation Cartel (CJNG), has been killed in a military operation in Mexico.

Nemesio Oseguera Cervantes, the Mexican drug lord commonly known as “El Mencho” and leader of the Jalisco New Generation Cartel (CJNG), has been killed in a military operation in Mexico.

ad-image

Nemesio Oseguera Cervantes, the Mexican drug lord commonly known as “El Mencho” and leader of the Jalisco New Generation Cartel (CJNG), has been killed in a military operation in Mexico.

The CJNG has become a large-scale criminal enterprise that rivals other major gangs such as the Sinaloa cartel. According to a report by Reuters, the Mexican government has been ramping up pressure on cartels after threats made by the Trump administration that the US could intervene to address cartel violence.

"The operation for his arrest was led by the Defense Ministry, and he ended up being killed," a source told the outlet. 

Oseguera Cervantes had become one of the most respected and feared cartel bosses after Joaquin “El Chapo” Guzmán was arrested. The US State Department had previously offered a reward of up to $15 million for information leading to his arrest. 

His death has reportedly sparked assaults in multiple towns in Mexico by narco gangs. On Sunday, the Mexican town of Puerto Vallarta reportedly came under siege, with its airport allegedly attacked following the cartel leader’s killing. Smoke was also seen rising from streets where cartels burned vehicles and set up roadblocks.

“Federal forces carried out an operation in Tapalpa a few hours ago, which has led to clashes in the area,” said Jalisco Govenor Pablo Lemus Navarro in a post on X. “Also as a result of said operation in various points of that region and in other parts of Jalisco, individuals have burned and blocked vehicles with the aim of hindering the actions of authorities.”

Tourists in the city have been warned to stay indoors as gangs reacted to the news, and the State Department urged Americans there to shelter in place. The US Embassy in Mexico has issued a security alert for the states of Jalisco, Tamaulipas, Michoacán, Guerrero, and Nuevo León.


Image: Title: cartel leader

Opinion

View All

Thousands of French citizens take to the streets to protest Antifa killing of nationalist Quentin Deranque

Thousands were seen marching in the streets of Lyon, France, declaring that there needs to be "justic...

Trump officials urge British free speech victims to seek asylum in US

"Anyone persecuted by their government for peacefully expressing their views, including British citiz...

Kings College London ends puberty blocker trans trial for children after red flags raised by watchdog

“The MHRA has now raised new concerns – directly related to the wellbeing of children and young peopl...

JACK POSOBIEC and JOSHUA LISEC: Regime change in Iran will lead to same doomed history

"We saw this with the Arab Spring, where relatively stable, strong men-led regimes were replaced by s...