Famous British CNN host Christiane Amanpour afraid to travel to US under Trump: 'As if I was going to North Korea'

“I must say I was afraid. I’m a foreigner. I don’t have a green card. I’m not an American citizen. I’m fairly prominent, and I literally prepared to go to America as if I was going to North Korea."

ad-image
CNN’s Christiane Amanpour said she was scared during a recent visit to the United States, comapring the experience to preparing for travel to North Korea. Her comment came during a conversation on the podcast The Ex Files with her ex-husband and co-host Jamie Rubin.

“I must say I was afraid. I’m a foreigner. I don’t have a green card. I’m not an American citizen. I’m fairly prominent, and I literally prepared to go to America as if I was going to North Korea,” Amanpour said, reflecting on a recent trip to the US last month to deliver a speech at Harvard Kennedy School.



The 67-year-old British-Iranian journalist added that she brought only a burner phone with limited contacts, leaving behind her usual devices out of concern. “I took a burner phone. Imagine that. I didn’t take a single… not my mobile phone, not my iPad, nothing, and I had nothing on the burner phone except a few numbers,” she said.

Despite her fears, Amanpour noted that her arrival in the US was uneventful. “So, huge sigh of relief I breathed, but wow, can you imagine if I'm afraid, what do others think?” she added.

She also said she had consulted CNN’s security team before her trip, citing stories from other British nationals who were reportedly detained or turned away at the border.

Rubin weighed in, saying: “With Donald Trump’s basically weaponization of the immigration and naturalization service to scrutinize people, to imagine that every single non-American is a threat to the United States, is a war on what our country has been since its founding.”

President Trump announced a new executive order Wednesday targeting Harvard University’s international programs. Titled Enhancing National Security by Addressing Risks at Harvard University, the order suspends the university’s student visa program. Trump described the program as a “privilege granted by our government, not a guarantee.”

He has also accused the school of violating federal law and said restricting foreign students was necessary to protect national interests.

The order cited long-standing FBI concerns about foreign adversaries exploiting US higher education institutions to “steal technical information and products, exploit expensive research and development to advance their own ambitions and spread false information for political or other reasons.”

Image: Title: Trump journo

Opinion

View All

HUMAN EVENTS DAILY: Trump’s $10B Board of Peace is putting America first—and ending needless wars

"It's Trump collaborating with foreign leaders and trying to bring peace not only to the United State...

PAMELA GARFIELD-JAEGER: Trans Ideology KILLS—we have to stop pretending it doesn’t

People who gravitate toward gender ideology are already struggling psychologically. They are offered ...

French mayor moves to block memorial march for slain Catholic Quentin Deranque who was beaten to death by Antifa

"In a context of particularly intense national and local tensions since the death of Quentin Deranque...