Apple pulls WhatsApp, Threads from China's app store under orders from CCP

Users in the special administrative regions of Macau and Hong Kong can still access the apps.

ad-image
On Friday, Apple announced that it had complied with the Chinese Communist Party's request to remove Meta's WhatsApp and Threads from the App Store in the country.

Messaging applications Signal and Telegram were also removed by their respective companies.
 

"The Cyberspace Administration of China ordered the removal of these apps from the China storefront based on their national security concerns," Apple said in a statement, per Reuters. "We are obligated to follow the laws in the countries where we operate, even when we disagree."

While the aforementioned four applications are now prohibited in mainland China, users in the special administrative regions of Macau and Hong Kong can still access them in the App Store.

Meta's social media and messaging applications are quite popular in North America and other parts of the world, however in China, they never really caught on, with residents preferring to use TenCent's WeChat. 

As Reuters reports, China has worked hard to prevent citizens from accessing Western applications via a censorship apparatus known as the "Great Firewall." Those who wish to download them more often than not have to use a virtual private network (VPN).

The CCP recently moved to make it even harder for non-Chinese applications to gain a foothold in the country. In August, a law was signed requiring all applications to register with the government if they wanted to be available to Chinese users. The rule came into effect on April 1, with companies having until the end of the previous month to register.

This is not the first time Apple has abided by the wishes of the CCP when it comes to preventing Chinese users from accessing certain applications. In 2017 the American tech giant agreed to remove the New York Times application as the government cracked down on news, and in 2023 a number of artificial intelligence chatbots were taken down.


Image: Title: China_App

Opinion

View All

EXCLUSIVE: Trump Iran deal to include no nuclear weapon, Strait of Hormuz opened

A senior White House official revealed that the deal is exactly what President Donald Trump had been ...

BREAKING UPDATE: Trump to announce peace deal to de-nuclearize Iran, open Strait of Hormuz

"Final aspects and details of the Deal are currently being discussed, and will be announced shortly."...

Bathrooms, changing rooms must be used on basis of biological sex, UK equality commission says

The EHRC’s proposed guidance, which has been approved by ministers, also states that people who ident...

Marco Rubio questions value of NATO for US as allies deny American forces use of military bases

"When some of those bases are denied to you during a conflict we’re involved in, then you question wh...