Britain, US issue travel advisory for possible terrorist attacks in Sweden after Koran burning

"You should be vigilant at this time."

ad-image

Britain urged its citizens traveling to Sweden on Sunday to remain cautious of a possible terrorist attack following the Koran burnings by anti-Islam activists last month.

Reuters reported that Britain’s updated travel advice noted Swedish authorities had already stopped planned attacks and made some arrests since the burning.

The update said “you should be vigilant at this time,” adding that “terrorists are very likely to try and carry out attacks in Sweden.” It went on to note that places visited by tourists could be potential targets for such attacks.

Sweden’s National Security Advisor Henrik Landerhholm acknowledged Britain’s travel advice, confirming that there have been increased threats to the Scandinavian country since the burnings occurred last month.

Landerholm noted three primary incidents that contributed to the risk assessment in the country. It started with the Swedish embassy in Iraq being stormed on July 19. There was also an attempted attack on its embassy in Lebanon on August 9, and then the shooting of an employee at a Swedish consulate in Turkey on August 1.

Burning a Koran in Sweden is not illegal. It is allowed under the nation’s free speech rules, but Muslims perceive the burning of their holy book as blasphemy. The report also mentioned that the US government has put out its own travel advice for those going to Sweden.

The US warning, put out in late July, said: “Terrorist groups continue plotting possible attacks in Sweden. Terrorists may attack with little or no warning, targeting tourist locations, transportation hubs, markets/shopping malls, local government facilities, hotels, clubs, restaurants, places of worship, parks, major sporting and cultural events, educational institutions, airports, and other public areas.”

Image: Title: british koran

Opinion

View All

Man who burned Quran outside Turkish Embassy in UK set to be accepted as refugee in US if appeal fails

State Department officials in the Trump administration are reportedly preparing to assist Hamit Cosku...

3 Antifa thugs identified as suspects in beating death of French Catholic activist

Quentin had been affiliated with Collectif Némésis, a right-wing women’s advocacy group that was prot...

MP Rupert Lowe launches ‘Restore Britain’ party for 'full-scale restoration' of UK

"I simply could no longer justify asking you to place your faith in a system that has repeatedly show...

French nationalist brutally beaten by Antifa thugs dies after protecting women’s rights activists

The man, identified as Quentin, was reportedly part of an informal security group defending a pro-wom...