This article originally appeared on watchdog.org.
This week, an unprecedented circuit split emerged in Halbig v. Burwell and King v. Burwell over whether health insurance premium assistance is available in states that didn???t set up health insurance exchanges.
Many commentators have since claimed that there???s no way Congress intended to deny premium assistance to residents of the 36 so-called ???refusenik??? states that have not set up their own health insurance exchanges.
But in January 2012, Jonathan Gruber, an MIT economics professor whom the the New York Times has called ???Mr. Mandate??? for his pivotal role in helping the Obama administration and Congress draft the Affordable Care Act, told an audience at Noblis that:
What???s important to remember politically about this is if you???re a state and you don???t set up an exchange, that means your citizens don???t get their tax credits???but your citizens still pay the taxes that support this bill. So you???re essentially saying [to] your citizens you???re going to pay all the taxes to help all the other states in the country. I hope that that???s a blatant enough political reality that states will get their act together and realize there are billions of dollars at stake here in setting up these exchanges. But, you know, once again the politics can get ugly around this.
For more on Gruber???s crucial role in designing the ACA, see this 2012 profile of him in The New York Times and thisrelease from MIT???s press office, which describes Gruber as the architect of the ???three-legged stool??? concept discussed at length by the Fourth Circuit opinion in King v. Burwell.
The New Republic reports that Gruber says he made the statement in error.
???I honestly don???t remember why I said that,??? he told the New Republic. ???I was speaking off the cuff. It was just a mistake.???
???But there was never any intention to literally withhold money, to withhold tax credits, from the states that didn???t take that step,??? Gruber added. ???That???s clear in the intent of the law and if you talk to anybody who worked on the law. My subsequent statement was just a speak-o???you know, like a typo.???
Update: A ???speak-o???? Now, Reason blogger Peter Suderman (citing a Breitbart audio clip) says Gruber made very similar remarks a few weeks before his now-controversial January 2012 presentation.
Says Suderman: ???If this is another mistake, it is an awfully strange one that just happens to match not only the statement he made a week later, but also the plain language of the health law and the argument advanced by legal challengers to the IRS rule allowing subsidies within Obamacare???s federal exchanges.???
- Obamacare compliance means less money for TN service agencies
- The mystery of Obamacare spending in Arkansas
- Obamacare raises questions for MD small business owners
- Kansas official on Obamacare: ???Let someone else be the guinea pig???
- Obamacare insurance marketplace has plenty of kinks on first day
- OR???s Obamacare insurance marketplace hits technological snag
- Fail: Day 1 of the New Mexico Obamacare rollout
- Senator asks: Do you want this dysfunctional government taking over health care?
- Jobs, coverage at risk with Obamacare, MN union health official says
- Oregon???s Obamacare ads resemble middle school art
- VIDEO: Obamacare vs Affordable Care Act: Comedy triumphs in court of confusion
- Patience is key to navigating Illinois??? Obamacare marketplace
- Hawaii residents, lawmakers frustrated with health connector glitches
- Healthy young, key to Obamacare, aren???t buying it
- NM???s health exchange tries to lure ???young invincibles???
- Obama drama: Senator blames governor for big rate hikes
- Progressive group navigates Oregon students through Obamacare
- Maddening: Trying to log onto federal health care site
- You know that one guy who successfully signed up for Obamacare? He didn???t
- What???s wrong? It???s been a week, and Obamacare website still not working
- HHS Secretary Sebelius back in FL after embarrassing Obamacare rollout
- Health centers enroll Floridians in Obamacare as application problems persist
- VIDEO: Stewart skewers Sebelius on Obamacare
- Obamacare effect? 9 companies exit Nebraska???s health insurance market
- Obamacare: Children of undocumented parents face an uncertain future
- Which way do we go? Obamacare navigator registration in TN in question
- NM health exchange tries to ease problems with Obamacare website
- CPA says hype over Obamacare small business tax credit is misleading
- Obamacare navigator under fire for arrest warrant
- Reports of Obamacare fraud emerge in Tennessee
- After two weeks, FL online Obamacare enrollees are hard to find
- Illinois state governor touts 100K Obamacare enrollees, all in Medicaid
- Kansas lawmaker calls for crackdown on Obamacare navigators
- WI health care exchange seeing few getting through
- Hawaii???s Obamacare exchange relaunches with more glitches
- We???ll know next month how many people in NM signed up for Obamacare ??? maybe
- Zero: Number of Nebraskans Obamacare navigators have signed up
- It took this Delaware woman 11 days to sign up for Obamacare ??? and she was the first
- How many people have signed up for health insurance in VA? Who knows?
- What else? NM federal health exchange ads stalled due to website problems
- Blue Cross hires temp workers to deal with Obamacare glitches
- If Obamacare is the next Medicare, will physicians leave en masse?
- Three problems that won???t be solved by fixing the Obamacare exchange glitches
- Plenty of Oregonians interested in Obamacare, but none can enroll online
- Criticize this: Obamacare premiums a near match to WI disclosures
- Report: Missourians will see sharp rise in premiums under Obamacare
- Kansas navigators say they???ve enrolled no one in Obamacare
- Obamacare too costly for rich Coloradans, Democrat congressman says
- Study: Kansas premiums to spike following Obamacare rollout
- Hang on to your candy: Creepy Uncle Sam is back
- Obamacare or bust: NM Watchdog turned back again
- Medical journals, experts refute claim that Medicaid cuts ER use
- Arkansas spends $4M on Obamacare ads, wants more
- LOL: In July video, HHS bragged about being ???on schedule??? with Obamacare
- Illinois uses Day of the Dead to market Obamacare
- Sebelius denies GOP???s Terry ???unreliable??? Obamacare info
- About 290,000 Washington residents lose health insurance plans
- Broken promise: Obamacare cancels almost 20,000 Kansas health care plans
- Top hospitals opt out of Obamacare
- Obamacare moves to intensive care
- Obamacare provision could lead to more Medicaid fraud
- Obamacare: Religious groups want to ???move mountains???
- Obamacare hitting Wisconsin residents with double whammy
- Kansas AG: Obamacare threatens consumer privacy
- 1,500 in New Mexico have to move out of the high-risk insurance pool
- Cover Oregon website fiasco creates jobs, but costs millions
- For Florida???s Obamacare small business exchange, it???s crunch time
- Only 877 Wisconsinites have signed up for Obamacare, federal report says
- Just 172 in NM have completed Obamacare applications: ???Woefully inadequate,??? says NMIX board member
- With only 346 Oklahomans signed up, leaders decry ???Obamacare debacle???
- Defying Obamacare: ???Send them the bill,??? NM insurance official says
- Kansas Obamacare enrollment dwarfed by nearly 20,000 cancellations
- Numbers don???t lie: In Illinois, Obamacare means Medicaid
- Wisconsin governor proposes insurance plan to address Obamacare rollout failure
- Tennesseans might know Tuesday if they can keep canceled health insurance
- People demand answers over Oregon???s Obamacare fail
- Calif. says ???no??? to Obamacare freebies, makes own law
- HI health exchange violates federal law, League of Women Voters say
- Obamacare video winner: ???Forget about the price tag???
- Harvard study finds ???striking??? rejection of Obamacare by young Americans
- HI health exchange has signed up 574 people, for about $348,000 apiece
- Are the uninsured getting Obamacare coverage in Illinois?
- Secret Obamacare handbook the feds don???t want you to see is online
- Lost in translation: Once-supportive Hispanics turning backs on Obama, ACA
- HI Obamacare exchange not fiscally sustainable, lawmakers told
- Illinois??? latest Obamacare targets: gold diggers and momma???s boys
- Now Democrats are bashing California???s Obamacare exchange, too
- Obamacare: For $1.37M we get Richard Simmons in lurid web stream
- Obamacare: A welcome mat for IRS horrors
- California senator seeks audit of state Obamacare exchange
- Report: Hawaii ranks worst for Obamacare signups
- CA senator sues Obamacare exchange for causing policy cancellations of 1M
- Failure of Maryland Obamacare exchange could mean higher premiums in North Dakota
- Video: Watch Creepy Uncle Sam make it rain
- Five bright spots surrounding the Obamacare exchange failures
- Obamacare architect admitted in 2012 states without exchanges lose subsidies