Prep time: 30 to 40 minutes
With tomato season in full swing, this is a great time to take advantage of nutrient-rich tomatoes and make up a batch of my familyâ??s favorite pasta sauce. Loaded with equally healthy onions, garlic, and carrots, this pasta sauce is so versatile, you can use it on grilled veggies, fish, or chicken, too. Best of all, itâ??s filled with prostate-pleasing lycopene, thanks to the combination of tomatoes and olive oil. As always, please look for organic ingredients to minimize your toxic load.
- ÂĽ cup organic, extra virgin olive oil
- 1Â˝ cups chopped onions
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 heaping tablespoon minced garlic
- 6 cups seeded and cored tomatoes, coarsely chopped (with juice)
- 1 tablespoon shredded fresh basil
- Sea or lite salt and black pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in a large pot and sautĂ© onions and carrots for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Stir in garlic and add tomatoes, then bring to a simmer.
- Stir in basil, salt, and pepper. Simmer the sauce for about 15 minutes. It should thicken a bit while cooking.
If you wish, transfer cooked sauce to a food processor and process slightly to create a smoother, less rustic sauce.