Kermit Gosnell's house of screams

The mainstream media has been studiously avoiding the trial of abortion butcher Kermit Gosnell, despite the kind of stomach-churning testimony that would normally attract headline coverage.  The latest, from Delaware Online:

A Delaware woman who worked for abortion doctor Kermit Gosnell recalled hearing one child ???screaming??? after it was delivered alive during an abortion procedure at Gosnell???s West Philadelphia clinic.

Sherry West, of Bear, said she was loyal to Gosnell ??? who is now facing multiple counts of murder for allegedly killing children after they were delivered alive at his clinic ??? but said the incident ???really freaked me out.???

When Assistant District Attorney Joanne Pescatore pressed the 53-year-old West for specifics about the incident, West struggled to answer, clearly uncomfortable with the memory.

???I can???t describe it. It sounded like a little alien,??? West testified, telling a judge and Philadelphia Court of Common Pleas jury that the body of the child was about 18 to 24 inches long and was one of the largest babies she had seen delivered during abortion procedures at Gosnell???s clinic.

West said she saw the child, whose face and features were not yet completely formed, lying on a glass tray on a shelf and she told a co-worker to call Gosnell about it and fled the room.

West herself is facing up to 100 years in prison, having admitted to third-degree murder, and testified as part of a plea deal.  She offered a chilling look at how Gosnell ran his little shop of horrors:

While West had some medical training during her 20 years with the VA, she testified that she received no formal training on conducting ultrasounds or administering drugs, which was part of her job at Gosnell???s clinic. Instead West said she was trained by other clinic staffers including a 16-year-old who worked there.

On the stand, West detailed the lax procedures at Gosnell???s clinic, including an incident on the night in 2009 when 41-year-old Karnamaya Mongar died following an abortion there. Prosecutors charge Mongar died due to an overdose of pain medication administered by Gosnell???s staff.

West said it was ???hectic??? and recalled how it took time for paramedics to get into the building because the back door was padlocked and no one had the key.

Prosecutor Pescatore also walked her through the incomplete and conflicting medical records from Gosnell???s clinic where it is not clear what drugs were administered, by who and when. She testified that at least one notation by Gosnell ??? that Mongar was feeling no pain afterward ??? was completely wrong.

To put it mildly, Gosnell and his people did not conduct themselves as if they were dealing with precious human lives.  They weren’t terribly overwhelmed by the humanity of their pregnant clients, either.  Inhumanity is contagious.

Gosnell hired West – who had been his patient for 20 years and suffered from both nervous breakdowns and Hepatitis C – at a time when she was desperate for money, and initially paid her under the table, according to her testimony.  That tracks with the testimony of another co-defendant, Steven Massof, also hired on by Gosnell at a moment of personal vulnerability and employed under dubious conditions, as reported by LifeNews:

Gosnell offered Massof a ???residency??? in 2003, but failed to tell him that it was not a sanctioned program. Massoff was never licensed to practice medicine.

Massof received no pay at all for his first two weeks of work for Gosnell, who seemed to seek out those in desperate circumstances for employment, then exploit them by extracting maximum work for minimal pay. Massof testified he received a salary of only $200-$300 per week.

For the first couple of months of his employment, Massof shadowed Gosnell in his family practice in order to learn from Gosnell???s experience.  After that, he began seeing the family practice patients without supervision.  After Gosnell gave Massof a signed prescription pad, Massof remarked, ???I got alot more patients coming to me.???

Massof testified that he had an interest in abortion and a curiosity about it.  To become more involved in the abortion part of Gosnell???s business, Massof began ???helping move patients around??? from one area of the clinic to the next.  Later he began doing first trimester procedures and eventually took on the ???second tris,??? testifying that he saw over 100 babies born alive who had their necks snipped in what he said was ???literally a beheading. It is separating the brain from the body.???

During busy times, when the women were given drugs to induce contractions all at once, Massof told the court that ???it would rain fetuses. Fetuses and blood all over the place.???

???I felt like a firemen in hell. I couldn???t put out all the fires,??? he said.

The people testifying in this trial keep dropping sound bites that would command headlines in any other context, but there’s virtually no Big Media coverage of the story, and certainly no attempt to build a narrative around the obvious questions of “How did this happen?” and “Is this happening anywhere else?”  The normal media search for “lessons” from a shocking incident seems to have been put on indefinite hold.  Will their interest finally be aroused by the chilling detail of a baby screaming out loud during an abortion procedure?