Tasty on its own for a light supper, this dish is equally at home as a side dish for roast chicken or fish. Feel free to experiment with different favorite vegetables to create your own variations.
- 2¼ cups low-sodium vegetable or chicken broth, divided
- 1 cup organic brown rice
- 1¼ cups diced fresh pineapple, divided
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1/2 cup shitake mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, diced
- 7 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 1/2 cup red pepper, finely diced
- 4 scallions (white portion only), thinly sliced
- Pour 2 cups of the broth into a medium saucepan. Add brown rice. Cover, turn heat to high, bring to a boil, and reduce heat to medium.
- Simmer brown rice and broth until liquid is absorbed and rice is soft.
- In a blender, combine 1/2 cup of the pineapple, the remaining 1/4 cup of broth, and the soy sauce. Blend until smooth.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add shitake mushrooms, onion, garlic, carrot, and red pepper. Sauté for 3 minutes; then add the remaining diced pineapple, and cook for an additional 3 minutes.
- Add cooked rice to skillet. Cook 5 to 6 minutes, stirring often. Add blended pineapple mixture, and cook until liquid is absorbed.
- Spoon rice mixture into a serving dish, sprinkle with chopped scallions, and serve warm, with salt and pepper on the side, if necessary.
Nutritional information per serving: 132 calories, 6 g fat (1 g saturated), 19 g carbohydrates, 3 g fiber, 2 g protein, 0 mg cholesterol, 163 mg sodium, 5 g sugar
Note: Nutritional values are estimates only and may vary according to freshness of ingredients, methods of preparation, and other factors.