Great for lunch or a light dinner, these fish cakes are easy to make and much healthier than the frozen, breaded fish sticks or patties you’ll find in stores. If you like fast-food fish sandwiches, you’ll find these cakes are delicious on a whole-grain bun with a bit of lettuce and a tomato slice.
Serves 6 to 8
- 1/3 cup light mayonnaise
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1Â˝ pounds cod, cooked
- 2 stalks celery, minced
- Pinch of sea salt
- 2 cups whole-wheat bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- In a large bowl, mix mayonnaise, egg, and lime juice.
- Using a fork, separate cod into small pieces.
- Mix cod into mayonnaise and egg mixture; then add celery and salt, mixing thoroughly.
- Using your hands, scoop up 1/2 cup of fish mixture and form a ball. Repeat with the remaining fish mixture to form 6 to 8 balls.
- Spread bread crumbs on a plate, and roll each ball in bread crumbs until well covered.
- Flatten each ball into a patty shape with the bottom of a coffee cup or glass.
- Heat olive oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Fry 3 or 4 fish cakes at a time for about 5 minutes on each side or until bread crumbs turn golden brown.
Nutritional information per serving: 346 calories, 14 g fat (2 g saturated), 25 g carbohydrates, 2 g fiber, 27 g protein, 84 mg cholesterol, 412 mg sodium, 3 g sugar
Note: Nutritional values are estimates only and may vary according to freshness of ingredients, methods of preparation, and other factors.