During the middle of winter, anything tropical is most welcome, and this nutritious chicken salad is no exception. It’s loaded with inflammation fighters like vitamin C, good fats, enzymes, and low-fat protein — all of which can help ease back and joint pain. Plus, it tastes great!
- 4 cups mixed organic salad greens, washed and patted dry
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cooked and diced
- 1 cup fresh papaya or mango, diced
- 1 cup unsweetened pineapple chunks (drain if canned, reserving juice)
- 1 cup avocado, peeled, pitted, and diced
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup carrot curls or slices
- 1 can (15 oz) low-sodium black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 reserved pineapple juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon organic extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon raw organic honey
- Thoroughly mix all ingredients together, and set aside.
- Toss mixed greens with dressing, coating leaves thoroughly.
- Arrange greens in four separate bowls or on plates.
- Place equal amounts of diced chicken on each salad.
- Distribute papaya or mango, pineapple, avocado, bell pepper, carrots, and black beans equally on each salad.
Enjoy with a slice of whole grain bread or toast and a glass of sparkling mineral water.
Nutritional information per serving: 419 calories, 17 g fat (3 g saturated), 35 g carbohydrates, 8 g fiber, 32 g protein, 65 mg cholesterol, 351 mg sodium, 13 g sugar
Note: Nutritional values are estimates only and may vary according to freshness of ingredients, methods of preparation, and other factors.
Sign up to the Human Events newsletter