Hollywood stars invariably get involved in the political debate from the left side of the spectrum. What better way to draw attention to themselves than to testify before Congress about the latest threat to humanity, even if their cause is laughable. It was hard to narrow it down to only 10, but here are the Top 10 Most Obnoxious Hollywood Liberals.
1. Sean Penn: The two-time Academy Award winner has traveled the world to denounce the country that made him rich and famous. He has been used as a propaganda tool by the Iranian regime, met with Cuban President Raul Castro, and went to Iraq as an antiwar activist. Penn is so close to Venezuelan strongman Hugo Chavez that the tyrant, in one of his televised speeches, read an open letter Penn wrote to Bush, condemning the Iraq War, calling for the President’s impeachment and saying that Bush, Dick Cheney and Condoleezza Rice were “villainously and criminally obscene people.”
2. Michael Moore: The portly director made hundreds of millions of dollars off of the highly fictional Fahrenheit 9/11, a “documentary” that alleged close links between the Bush clan and Osama bin Laden’s family. Recently he said that private wealth is a “national resource” that belongs to all the people and called for jailing the rich. Then he called bin Laden’s death an “execution.” For a man who made a fortune exploiting 9/11, denouncing wealth, and the action against the al-Qaeda leader, is beyond disingenuous.
3. Danny Glover: Lethal Weapon star Danny Glover was a campus radical as a student at San Francisco State University and has been an advocate for left-wing causes ever since. He chums around with the likes of Hugo Chavez, is a union rabble-rouser and said the Bush administration was composed of “liars and murderers.” After the 2010 Haiti earthquake, Glover was quick to blame the tragedy on global warming.
4. Barbra Streisand: From her appearance on President Nixon’s “enemies list” to her singing performance at a fund-raising gala for Barack Obama, Barbra Streisand has a long history of political involvement. Most notable is her bankrolling of left-wing causes, with the Streisand Foundation steering millions to groups promoting every liberal fantasy. Among her favorite causes are women’s issues, nuclear disarmament and the environment. She even donated $1 million to the William Jefferson Clinton Foundation to help solve global warming.
5. Jane Fonda: “Hanoi Jane” deserves a lifetime achievement award for left-wing activism. Between her anti-American radio broadcasts from North Vietnam and appearing at anti-Iraq War rallies, Fonda demonstrated against Israel’s “occupation” of the West Bank and supported feminist causes, speaking out against patriarchy. This is someone who once said, “I would think that if you understood what communism was, you would hope, you would pray on your knees, that we would someday become Communists.”
6. Alec Baldwin: “30 Rock” star Alec Baldwin is an animal-rights advocate, a strong supporter of People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) and serves on the board of the left-wing People for the American Way. During the Clinton impeachment, Baldwin publicly fantasized about murdering Rep. Henry Hyde and his family. If he had only followed through on his threat to leave the country when Bush was reelected.
7. Susan Sarandon: From supporting the Nicaraguan Sandinistas in the 1980s to speaking at a pro-union rally in Wisconsin this year, film star Susan Sarandon is still plugging progressive positions, although no longer with her former longtime companion and political fellow traveler Tim Robbins. She was an anti-Iraq War activist, protesting the Bush administration with the likes of Jane Fonda and Cindy Sheehan, and is a major donor to the feminist group EMILY’s List.
8. Janeane Garofalo: This B-list actress and Air America refugee has taken left-wing hate speech to a new level with her rhetorical blasts aimed at the Tea Party. Here is a sample of her rants: “It’s about hating a black man in the White House. That is racism straight up. This is nothing but a bunch of tea-bagging rednecks,” and, “The functionally retarded adults, the racists—with their cries of, ‘I want my country back.’ What they’re really saying is, ‘I want my white guy back.’ ”
9. Joy Behar: While on “The View,” Joy Behar said there are ways to get information from terrorists other than tough interrogation methods such as waterboarding. “There are other ways of getting information out of people … pay them off,” Behar said, while suggesting offering a terrorist a “$6 million book deal.” This is the same brainiac who once said, “It is really not easy to make fun of the Obamas, because they’re kind of really perfect, aren’t they?”
10. The Sheens: This father/son duo deserves a mention. Martin Sheen played the liberal’s dream President in “West Wing,” and has embraced every left-wing cause, from antiwar and farm-worker activism to protecting seals by attacking fur traders. His son, Charlie Sheen, was an outspoken Truther, alleging that 9/11 was an inside job, before he became a traveling carnival act with his Tiger Blood and “Torpedo of Truth” tour.