Things keep getting worse for global-warming alarmists. Last year, saw the collapse at Copenhagen, Climategate and the death of cap-and-trade. A recent spate of bad developments added to their woes:
1. Cancun Play-Day: Following last year’s Copenhagen climate conference which turned into a farce, another meaningless UN climate conference was held this year in Cancun, Mexico. While little to nothing was accomplished, at least the well-dressed delegates picked a nice locale to pollute with their jets and limos.
2. Globe Stopped Warming: According to the UK Daily Mail, buried in a new British Meteorological Office report is data that shows there has been virtually no global warming for the past 15 years. A very inconvenient truth for the alarmists.
3. Invoking Ixchel: Christiana Figueres, a UN climate official, didn’t help the kooky image of global warming alarmists when she addressed delegates gathered at the UN’s climate conference in Cancun. Figueres invoked the ancient Mayan jaguar goddess Ixcehl, saying she hoped the goddess of weaving would inspire the delegates “to weave together the elements of a solid response to climate change.” Where is the ACLU and their church-state separation wall when you really need it?
4. Cold Weather: With the East Coast gripped by bitter cold, Paris paralyzed by snow and a headline in the UK’s Daily Express exclaiming, “Britain is Freezing to Death,” global warming alarmists will again have to fall back on their “climate change” sleight of hand to explain away the cold.
5. WikiLeaks: Secret cables among the Wikileaks trove of leaked documents include accounts that the Danish climate minister floated financial assistance for small island nations to gain their support for the Copenhagen climate pact and put pressure on developing nations like Brazil and India to go along. Why are bribes needed if these nations are so imperiled by rising oceans?
6. Global One-Child Policy: Economist Brian O’Neill from the U.S.’s National Center for Atmospheric Research presented a study in Cancun which concluded that a rising global population is contributing to emissions growth, and that family planning could counter the trend. Media mogul Ted Turner followed up with a plea for a global one-child policy and proposed that fertility rights be sold so that poor people could profit from their decision not to reproduce.
7. Ted Turner Touts Cap-and-Trade: Speaking of Ted Turner, the CNN founder said at the Cancun climate confab that President Obama made “a big mistake” by not making his cap-and-trade energy legislation his “top priority” ahead of healthcare. You know you are in trouble when you have to out-flank Obama from the Left to make your case.
8. Gore Group on Last Gasp: The Alliance for Climate Protection had to drastically scale back its operations with the collapse of climate change legislation in Congress. The group was aligned with Al Gore in 2008 in a massive advertising and lobbying campaign to pass climate legislation. With cap-and-trade all-but-dead, the group has cut the number of states having field offices from 25 to seven. Funny how a midterm election can bring about change.
9. Climate Committee Axed: With Republicans taking back the House of Representatives in January, expect changes in how various committees are run. None will be greater than the fate of the Select Committee on Energy Independence and Global Warming. Incoming House Speaker John Boehner has already announced that the panel, a pet project of Nancy Pelosi, will be dismantled.
10. Pachauri Proclaims: Dr. Rajendra Pachauri is the head of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change which has been under fire for its report stating Himalayan glaciers would melt by 2035 with no scientific evidence to back up the claim. Now he is back in the news, lecturing climate delegates in Cancun on the eminent dangers of global warming. Let’s hope he has some science to back up his claims this time.
Sign up to the Human Events newsletter