The Rent is Too Damn High Party candidate Jimmy McMillan stole the show last night at the New York gubernatorial debate in a race that has become a complete joke. Thugs and whores (real ones) and socialists and adulterers — McMillan stepped up to the head of the schmorgasbord and gave the others in the race a run for top spot as the new spectacle.
As Kerry Picket of the Washington Times tweeted from the event: @KerryPicket: I think “rent is too damn high party” Jimmy McMillan is the only candidate for guv this year to debate with wool gloves on.
October 18, 2010 — In a debate expected to be dominated by top New York governor candidates Andrew Cuomo and Carl Paladino, Jimmy McMillan of the Rent Is Too Damn High Party provided the fireworks. Watch his inspired views on karate, gay marriage, and, well, rent.
Seven candidates faced off including Republican Carl Paladino and Democrat Andrew Cuomo and five third party hopefuls. From the Wall Street Journal blog:
* New York City Councilman Charles Barron (Freedom Party) joined the Harlem branch of the Black Panther Party in the late 1960s. He once infamously said he wanted “to go to the closest white person and “slap him just for my mental health.”
* Kristen Davis (Anti-Prohibition Party) identifies herself as the person who provided escorts for former Gov. Eliot Spitzer. She was convicted of promoting prostitution and served four months on Riker’s Island.
* Howie Hawkins (Green Party) has spent the past decade unloading trucks for UPS. He has been active in movements for peace, justice, labor and the environment since the 1960s. He recently released a video of New Yorkers asking “Where are the [expletive deleted] jobs?”
* Jimmy McMillan (Rent Is Too Damn High Party) believes rent is, um, too damn high. He really, really believes that. He’s a perennial candidate for office.
* Warren Redlich (Libertarian Party) is an attorney who supplements his income with Google-ad revenue earned from websites that have domain names tied to political candidates.