The Obama administration has refused to comply with a Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee subpoena demanding access to documents and witnesses from last year’s Ft. Hood terrorist attack.
Committee Chairman Joe Lieberman (I-Conn.) and raking Republican Susan Collins (R-Maine) issued the subpoena when the Obama administration refused to provide the documents voluntarily.
The Pentagon says giving the committee access to investigative reports and witnesses might interfere with their prosecution of Major Nidal Hasan, the terrorist shot at the scene of the attack.
“As a state judge who presided over murder trials for 20 years before coming to Congress, that’s ludicrous,” said Rep. John Carter (R-Texas), secretary of the Senate Republican Conference whose district includes Ft. Hood. “Any prosecutor who can’t win a conviction against Hasan with literally dozens of eyewitnesses doesn’t need to be a prosecutor.”
Downplaying the incident in January, Obama’s Department of Defense failed to acknowledge the shootings as an act of radical Islamist terrorism in its official report.
The administration is also blocking the committee’s access to Hasan’s personnel file — and a secret addendum — offering instead only briefings to select senators on the investigation.
“House and Senate members are not convinced that the Pentagon is taking the necessary steps to provide maximum deterrence to similar attacks in the future, or to respond to the aftermath of this attack,” Carter continued. “The Obama administration continues to deny the Fort Hood attack was terrorism, failed to grant the casualties the same status as that given casualties from the 2001 Pentagon attack, conspicuously omitted even mention of the words ‘radical Islamic terrorism’ in the official DOD report on the shootings, and will not acknowledge the role of political-correctness in stifling whistleblower warnings of the impending attack.”
Hasan has ties to al Qaeda terrorist Anwar al-Awlaki now hiding in Yemen having corresponded with the terrorist recruiter.
“Awlaki has since released a video claiming credit for the Fort Hood and [Christmas Day] airliner attacks, acknowledging his role, and praising the attackers,” Carter said. “He played a role in the 9-11 attacks, along with attempted attacks in 2006 on the Canadian Parliament and in 2007 against U.S. soldiers at Fort Dix, New Jersey. Then on November 5, 2009, he succeeded in helping instigate the deadly attack on Fort Hood, Texas leaving 14 Americans dead and 30 wounded.”
Carter has introduced a bill in the House to grant the Ft. Hood military and civilian casualties the same combat status unilaterally awarded to casualties at the Pentagon attack on September 11, 2001. He has also introduced a whistleblower protection measure that would protect service members from politically-correct disciplinary action that could result from reporting the obvious radicalization of Islamic members of the military.
Hasan repeatedly and openly demonstrated his devotion to radical Islamist terrorism yet colleagues failed to report his dangerous behavior for fear of retribution.
Both of Carter’s bills have been ignored by House Democrat leadership.
Carter warns the “lone wolf” recruitment strategy from al Qaeda is something the military should acknowledge and train to combat.
“Major Hasan, the underwear bomber Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab, Colleen Rose and Jamie Paulin-Ramirez — the American women implicated in the plot to kill a Swedish cartoonist for drawing Mohammed — all are concrete examples of this new Al-Qaeda attack strategy,” Carter said. “It is a strategy that must be recognized, trained for, and guarded against by our Armed Forces and law enforcement agencies. Refusing to acknowledge reality is not the way to make that happen.”
Sign up to the Human Events newsletter