1. Supporters of GOP Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger have suggested he will run for the Senate from California after his current term as governor is up in 2010. Who was the last Republican governor of California to run for the Senate?
2. Who was the last Democratic governor of California to run for the Senate?
3. Who was the last governor of California to go on to the U.S. Senate?
4. Who was the only U.S. senator from California to go on to be elected governor?
5. Who was the last U.S. senator from California defeated in an attempt to become governor?
1. Goodwin Knight, defeated for the Senate in 1958 by Democrat Clair Engle.
2. Edmund “Jerry” Brown, defeated for the Senate in 1982 by Republican Pete Wilson.
3. Republican Gov. Hiram Johnson, who served in the Senate from 1916-46.
4. Republican Sen. Pete Wilson, governor from 1990-98.
5. Republican Sen. William Knowland, defeated for governor in 1958 by Democrat Edmund “Jerry” Brown.