1. Sen. John Edwards recently announced he would stay in the race for the Democratic Presidential nomination despite his wife Elizabeth’s battle with cancer. Who was the last Democratic Presidential hopeful to end his candidacy because his wife was fighting cancer?
2. Three Republican U.S. House members and one Democratic House member are running for President in ’08? Can you name them?
3. Who was the last President elected directly from the House?
4. Rep. Anthony Weiner (D.-N.Y.) has hinted he will run for mayor of New York in ’09, when incumbent Mayor Michael Bloomberg cannot run again. Who was the last U.S. House member elected mayor of New York?
5. What two sitting U.S. House members are currently running for mayor of Philadelphia against one another?
1. Sen. Birch E. Bayh of Indiana, who ended his bid for President in October 1971 following news that his wife Marvella had cancer.
2. Republican Representatives Duncan Hunter (Calif.), Ron Paul (Tex.) and Tom Tancredo (Colo.) and Democratic Rep. Dennis Kucinich (Ohio).
3. Repoublican Rep. James Garfield of Ohio, elected President in 1880.
4. Ed Koch, Democratic House member from 1968-77 and mayor from 1977-89.
5. Democratic Representatives Chaka Fattah and Robert Brady.
Sign up to the Human Events newsletter