1. Atty. Gen. Alberto Gonzales has been under fire on Capitol Hill and in the press. How many other attorneys general have served in the Bush Administration?
2. Gonzales is a former justice of the Texas Supreme Court. Who was the last former judge to serve as attorney general?
3. Who was the last former attorney general to seek the presidency?
4. Who was the last former attorney general to run for elective office after leaving the Cabinet position?
5. White House Counsel Fred Fielding is mentioned as a possible attorney general if Gonzales resigns. Who was the last White House counsel to go on to be attorney general?
1. One. John Ashcroft, attorney general from 2001-05.
2. Griffin Bell, former judge of the U.S. Court of Appeals, who was attorney general under President Carter from 1977-80.
3. Robert F. Kennedy, attorney general from 1961-64, who sought the Democratic nomination for President in 1968.
4. Janet Reno, attorney general from 1992-2000, who unsuccessfully sought the Democratic nomination for governor of Florida in ’02.
5. Gonzales, who served as counsel to President Bush from ’01-05.
Sign up to the Human Events newsletter