Connect with us

archive

‘Da Vinci Code’ Fails to Impress at Cannes

Opponents of "The Da Vinci Code" will be delighted to hear the controversial film received some pretty negative reviews this past Tuesday at the Cannes Film Festival, three days before its slated to open in theatres worldwide.

From the HollywoodReporter:

For those who hate Dan Brown’s best-selling symbology thriller "The Da Vinci Code," the eagerly awaited and much-hyped movie version beautifully exposes all its flaws and nightmares of logic. For those who love the book’s page-turning intensity, the movie version heightens Brown’s mischievous interweaving of genre action, historical facts and utter fictions. In other words, for those who bear witness to the film "The Da Vinci Code," what you see depends on what you believe. Kinda like religion itself.

Find more bad reviews here, here and and a final wrap up here.

According to NewsBusters.org, this morning one "Code" actor decided to swipe back during an interview for "On the Road with The Code" with Matt Lauer.

[Says Lauer:] "There have been calls from some religious groups, they wanted a disclaimer at the beginning of this movie saying it is fiction because one of the themes in the book really knocks Christianity right on its ear, if Christ survived the crucifixion, he did not die for our sins and therefore was not resurrected. What I’m saying is, people wanted this to say ‘fiction, fiction, fiction’. How would you all have felt if there was a disclaimer at the beginning of the movie? Would it have been okay with you?"

There was a pause, and then famed British actor Ian McKellen [Gandalf of Lord of the Rings], piped up:

"Well, I’ve often thought the Bible should have a disclaimer in the front saying this is fiction. I mean, walking on water, it takes an act of faith. And I have faith in this movie. Not that it’s true, not that it’s factual, but that it’s a jolly good story. And I think audiences are clever enough and bright enough to separate out fact and fiction, and discuss the thing after they’ve seen it."

Watch McKellen rant on video here.

In a poll taken last week, HUMAN EVENTS asked readers "Will you boycott "The Da Vinci Code" movie when it comes out in theaters on May 19?" A good portion (73 %) of readers said they would be boycotting the film while the remaining 27 % said they still wanted to see it.

Newsletter Signup.

Sign up to the Human Events newsletter

Written By

Miss Sellers is the assistant online editor of HumanEvents.com. E-mail her at isellers@eaglepub.com.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Advertisement
Advertisement

TRENDING NOW:

Duke Prof: Islam Has ‘Clear Emphasis on the Sanctity and Dignity of Human Life’

FOREIGN AFFAIRS

Willem van Sprouse Antifa Willem van Sprouse Antifa

ICE Detention Center Attacker Was Antifa Activist.

U.S. POLITICS

Justin Trudeau Justin Trudeau

How Justin Trudeau Is Pushing Canada Further Right

FOREIGN AFFAIRS

Beto Is Using His Slave-Owning Ancestry.

U.S. POLITICS

Connect
Newsletter Signup.

Sign up to the Human Events newsletter