The office of Rep. Garry Miller (R.-Calif.) noted that this year, the federal government plans to revamp the civics test prospective citizens must pass before immigrating to the United States.
Will the new test actually emphasize the significance of citizenship, or like the current exam exist merely as a random collection of unrelated details. The following are sample questions from the new test:
- 1. What are the colors of our flag?
2. Who was the first president of the United States?
3. Name our three major enemies during World War II.
4. What document states the supreme law of the United States?
5. Name the original 13 states.
6. What is the name of the ship that brought the Pilgrims to America?
7. Name one right or freedom guaranteed by the First Amendment.
8. From the following choices, which type of government best describes the United States’: Constitutional Monarchy, Democracy, Republic, Socialist?
9. Who wrote “The Star-Spangled Banner?”
10. Who said, “Give me liberty or give me death?”
- 1. Red, white and blue
2. George Washington
3. Germany, Japan and Italy
4. The Constitution
5. Connecticut, Delaware, Georgia, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, and Virginia
6. The Mayflower
7. The rights to freedom of speech, religion, assembly and to petition the government
9. Francis Scott Key
10. Patrick Henry