Apple Walnut Oatmeal
Time to prepare: 15 minutes
Breakfast is so important that I’m always searching for tasty, nutritious recipes to make sure my family starts the day right. This oatmeal is loaded with ingredients known for their cholesterol-fighting abilities, including oats, walnuts, and apples. Plus it’s quick and easy to make. You can use additional water in place of the apple juice to lower the sugar content, and simply add a bit of stevia and/or some vanilla-flavored protein powder.
Note: Organic ingredients are always preferable to conventionally grown.
- 1 apple, cored and chopped finely
- 1 1/4 cups fresh, filtered water
- 1 cup unfiltered, unsweetened apple juice
- 1 1/3 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt or lite salt
- 3 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- 3 teaspoons raw, organic honey
- Combine chopped apple, water and/or apple juice, oats, cinnamon, and salt in a medium saucepan.
- Bring the oat mixture to a boil on medium heat. Boil for one minute, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat. Add walnuts and honey, and stir to mix.
Cover and allow the oatmeal to stand for 5 minutes before serving.