America Beware: Schumer, Gillibrand Are After Your Guns
America Beware: New York’s ultra left politicians are trying to bring their unsound, anti-gun policies to Washington.
On December 8, New York Democraticsenators Charles “Chuck” Schumer and Kirsten Gillibrand, both recipients of an “F” grade by the National Rifle Association, proposed Senate Bill 1973 – Gun Trafficking Prevention Act of 2012.
It should alarm us that this measure has been modeled after the proposals of NYC Mayor Michael Bloomberg’s national gun-control coalition because Bloomberg, recall, has a proven track record of acting in violation of the First and Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution.
Bloomberg once said, “I don’t know why people carry guns. Guns kill people.” Okay, Mr. Bloomberg, for the millionth time, the facts are crystal clear; people kill people, guns do not, have not, and will not, ever, have a life of its own so that it could pull its own trigger.
A right to keep and bear arms is in fact not an option, but a mandate of the Second Amendment, and is meant to protect the People from oppressive government. Sure an easy concept for the rest of us to comprehend, but not so for anti-freedom, Bloomberg, who has a very bad habit of banning things he finds deplorable; for example, guns, trans fats, and vehicles.
New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman, acting in kind, recently made the unfounded claim that “in America, guns are freely available to all, regardless of criminal history or other prohibitive factors.” Keep your fingers crossed that no one actually believes such gibberish, but unfortunately because of ineffective reporting by an anti-firearm New York media, people do.
The truth is, there are plenty of, probably too many, federal laws already on the books that protect gun dealers from potential criminals who attempt to purchase their product.
Of course this bill is not about catching criminals, it is about placing further restrictions and penalties on law abiding gun dealers and purchasers, in the hopes of containing firearm sale and ownership to law enforcement officials and politicians – alone.
Key factors in Senate bill 1973:
· It is unlawful for any person to knowingly ship, transport, transfer, or otherwise dispose to a person, 2 or more firearms that would be in violation of, or would result in a violation of any Federal, State, or local law. (Duplicative.)
· The United States Sentencing Commission shall amend the Federal Sentencing Guidelines to provide for an increase in jail time for those convicted of shipping, transporting, transferring firearms to individuals who commit crimes. (Asinine.)
· If the holder of a gun dealer license violates the law, the Attorney General may fine, suspend or revoke its license. (Duplicative.)
· Not less than once each year, the Attorney General shall identify licensed firearms dealers who have a heightened risk of firearms being diverted to criminals. (Yawn.)
· Provides authorization for the hiring and maintenance of 500 additional Industry Operations Investigators and 1,000 additional Special Agents. (Where’s the money?)
Now here is the best part of this story. If the Gun Trafficking Prevention Act of 2012 becomes law, U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder may have to indict himself, and if convicted, be subject to a fine and face up to 20 years in prison.
The attorney general is already in hot water, being the center of a congressional investigation of the now aborted “Fast and Furious” program with 56 Congressmen to date, demanding his resignation.
Although Holder has denied involvement in the operation that permitted the illegal trafficking of guns to known Mexican drug cartels via straw purchases or mules, and that resulted in the death of two U.S. border patrol agents, documentation reveals that what he says is untrue.
Indeed, the very proposal that the liberal giants are promoting directly links Holder to the crime of trafficking guns to criminals. So even if the act becomes law, it would be laughing out loud finny if Holder is arrested, tried, convicted, and sent to jail in a guaranteed, constitutional, rapid fashion.
Hint to Attorney General Holder: Save yourself. Resign now!