Obama Watch: Obama Books with Substance
Obama’s Dreams and Composite Characters
In 2004, political columnist Lynn Sweet investigated Obama’s “Dreams of My Father” and was surprised by what she found. Sweet wrote. “I was dismayed at what I found when I read Dreams from My Father. Composite characters. Changed names… Except for public figures and his family, it is impossible to know who is real and who is not.”
In the book’s introduction, Obama wrote, “For the sake of compression, some of the characters that appear are composites of people I’ve known, and some events appear out of precise chronology. With the exception of my family and a handful of public figures, the names of most characters have been changed for the sake of their privacy.”
Sweet tracked down one character called “Marty Kaufman,” Obama’s first boss at the Calumet Community Religious Conference. “Kaufman” is mentioned over 40 times while recalling detailed conversations and direct quotes. Sweet found that the boss was actually Gerald Kellman.
Given Obama’s track record with past associations, it’s more likely that he didn’t want to call attention to Kellman’s own radical associations. Kellman was a follower of Saul Alinsky, a radical socialist that wrote “Rules for Radicals.” In order to hire Obama, Kellman received a $25,000 grant from the Woods Fund. Readers may recall that Obama later served on the Woods Fund Board of Directors along side Weather Underground bomber William Ayers.
Sweet found that Kellman, despite the name change, was happy with how he was portrayed in the book. She concluded, “That’s reassuring, but most readers do not have the ability to call around to try to sort out the fictional characters from real people.”
Obama Books with Substance
Americans are itching to learn more about Barack Obama. Pundits touted his inexperience and “outside the beltway” approach, but three new bestsellers on Obama go beyond his flowery rhetoric and into his radical past. The three books included in Amazon.com’s top 20 last week were:
– “The Case Against Barack Obama: The Unlikely Rise and Unexamined Agenda of the Media’s Favorite Candidate” by David Fredosso
– “Fleeced: How Barack Obama, Media Mockery of Terrorist Threats, Liberals Who Want to Kill Talk Radio, the Do-Nothing Congress, Companies That Help Iran, and Washington Lobbyists for Foreign Governments Are Scamming Us … and What to Do About It” by Dick Morris
– “The Obama Nation: Leftist Politics and the Cult of Personality” by Jerome Corsi
The Chicago Tribune reported:
The authors allege that Obama is not a benign spokesman for hope and unity, but an ideologue with close ties to 1960s radicals and the Chicago political machine. Corsi is already known as a co-author of “Unfit for Command,” the influential attack against the war record of Sen. John Kerry, the Democrats’ presidential candidate in 2004. Fredosso is a reporter for National Review Online, while Morris is a former aide to President Clinton who has since made a career of bashing Democrats.
Fredosso’s book, which officially came out Tuesday, has nearly 300,000 copies in print…”Fleeced,” released in June and now in its eighth printing, has 210,000 copies.
It’s interesting to note that House Majority Leader Nancy Pelosi’s “Know Your Power” only sold 2,737 copies during its first week. Clearly, Americans are much more interested in learning the truth about Obama rather than reading the ramblings of Speaker Pelosi. Schadenfreude? Just a bit.
Communist Party Pamphlet or Obama’s Platform for Change?
The indispensable Sweetness & Light blog points out that Obama’s Platform for Change is very similar to another party’s platform. The Communist Party of the United States’ “Election 2008” brochure is virtually identical to Obama’s platform. Here’s a quiz I’ve put together for HUMAN EVENTS readers. Answers appear at the bottom of this column.
1. “A new day is dawning. Our country is at a turning point. This is a time of great possibility. Across the land, people are coming together to reshape our nation’s priorities to make government ‘of, by and for the people’ a reality.”
2. “From the Midwest to the South, from coast to coast, in big cities and rural communities voters have turned out in record numbers for change.”
3. “While wages remain flat, the costs of basic necessities are increasing. The cost of in-state college tuition has grown 35 percent over the past five years. Health care costs have risen four times faster than wages over the past six years. And the personal savings rate is now the lowest it’s been since the Great Depression.”
4. “Voters are demanding a new kind of politics to rebuild our country for the common good. A democratic spirit of unity and hope is inspiring millions to get involved. During the Great Depression of the 1930’s, unemployed workers and their allies marched and organized until public works jobs, Social Security and New Deal programs were won.”
5. “[U]se proceeds from the cap-and-trade auction program to invest in job training and transition programs to help workers and industries adapt to clean technology development and production… [C]reate an energy-focused Green Jobs.”
6. “Working people want bold new policies to end war restore democratic traditions and create green living wage jobs, affordable housing, healthcare and quality education for everyone.”
The Penn is Mightier than the Sword
The Atlantic magazine recently received hundreds of memos and internal e-mails from Hillary Clinton’s campaign. Senior strategist Mark Penn repeatedly suggested that they talk up “American values” and Obama’s disconnect with Middle America. Penn wrote:
All of these articles about his boyhood in Indonesia and his life in Hawaii are geared towards showing his background is diverse, multicultural and putting that in a new light. Save it for 2050. It also exposes a very strong weakness for him — his roots to basic American values and culture are at best limited. I cannot imagine America electing a president during a time of war who is not at his center fundamentally American in his thinking and values…
The Clinton campaign didn’t seem to take Penn’s advice, but one wonders how far they could have gotten if they did.
Answers to Communist Party Pamphlet or Obama’s Platform for Change?
1. Communist Party of the United States
2. Communist Party of the United States
3. Obama’s Platform for Change
4. Communist Party of the United States
5. Obama’s Platform for Change
6. Communist Party of the United States